viernes, 2 de agosto de 2013

Lección 5: State verbs and action verbs.

Lección 5: State verbs and action verbs.

In english we differenciate between states and actions.


  •  State: something staying the same. E.g:  She hates you.
  • Action: something happening. E.g: I'm eating an apple.

Sometimes there are  verbs that can be used either for a state or for an action.

I think you're wrong. (=believe) STATE      I'm thinking about you. ACTION.
We have three cars. (=own). STATE           We're having dinner.( =eating) ACTION.
I see what you're saying. (=undertand) STATE   She is seeing her boss. (=meeting) ACTION.
You look nice. STATE                                 I'm looking at the picture. ACTION


States are written in SIMPLE TENSES, and Actions can be written in SIMPLE OR CONTINUOUS.



BE: the examples with this verb are about how people behave.

  • PERMANENT QUALITY:  You are really nice.
  • TEMPORARY BEHAVIOUR:  You're being very friendly today.

We also can use some state verbs in the continuous to talk about a short period of time.
  • PERMANENT STATE (simple tenses) I love dancing.
  • SHORT PERIOD (continuous) I'm loving this party.


Próxima lección: VERBS: The past simple and the past continuous.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario